Saturday, January 30, 2010

162



A decade ago, I became a mom for the first time.

It was Super Bowl Sunday and there were a ton of people in the waiting room of the hospital, waiting for this kid to come out. Luckily, the game was on all day to occupy the waiting time for the support team. Another thing that occupied them; Dick's Deluxe cheeseburgers. My dad graciously purchased them for those in the waiting room, but not for me. I couldn't have any food because of the medications I was on. Then, the people dared to come check on me with cheeseburger scent emanating from their mouths...bastards.

Then, at 9:38pm, Jack burst into the world. It was beyond awesome. My mom had my camera and took some once in a lifetime pictures, but had the ability to leave my vag out of them. They captured the beautiful color of Jack's umbilical cord and his screaming, flailing body covered with vernix. They are my most treasured pictures.

Ten years later, Jack has presented me with many parenting challenges, but I'm happy to partake in all of them. He's my baby boy and always will be. I'm pretty sure boys have special connections with their mommies...and I'm happy to be one of them.

No comments: