Wednesday, May 27, 2009

365 Project - Day FIFTY TWO



I know now where the term 'busy as a bee' comes from. This rhododendron was virtually ALIVE today with bee activity.

While I could only catch one of the buggers zooming off the blooms of this rhodie, this plant was full of bees. I wish I could've captured the sound of their work; hundreds of bumble bees zooming to and fro to each bloom.

They're kinda fun to watch. They have an obvious agenda, to gather pollen, and they let nothing detract from their mission. They courteously yield to the other bees already occupying a bloom and simply move on to the next. If I stood close to the rhodie, they didn't even notice me. They just kept on doing what they set out to do.

I wonder where they go when it gets dark? I was thinking they may have a little Jetson-esque landing hangar somewhere. They all go and back themselves up inside, deposit the pollen and get prepared by other worker bees for the next mission tomorrow. When the sun breaks in the morning, they fly out in a drove and find the best rhodie pollen they can find.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

I really like this picture, and your description.

also, my verification word is "horkstoe"