Thursday, September 10, 2009

135



Jack found this widdle squirrel late this afternoon. He was doing his best to sit up and look alert, but he kept falling asleep in between his valiant efforts. I assume he fell out of the tree above him. But there he was...exposed, not afraid of us. I'm not sure if it was from illness or injury, but he clearly was not scared. I don't know if he's old enough to function like a normal squirrel, but he's a little quirky in his steps, sorta like he's just figuring it out.



So, what did we do? Yep, we picked him up and put him in a box. It was clear he needed some help. Now, I know squirrels are pests. I most certainly wouldn't have shown a baby rat this much empathy, but this guy just got kicked out of his nest. Poor kid.

I went to the pet store and got some kitten milk and one of those syringe feeders. Turns out he was pretty hungry. He ate some of the kitten milk and immediately fell asleep. He's been sleeping ever since; on the hot water bottle, on a t-shirt, in a box, nice and cozy. I know we can't keep him, I don't want to keep him. There's no way in hell we can co-exist with a squirrel in the house. They're ready to be on their own at 12 weeks. I think this little dude is about 5 to 6 weeks old. I'll call a shelter in the morning. He just wouldn't have a chance here.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

You are a stronger woman than I am... I would totally keep that adorable little baby squirrel. So sleepy and furry, squeaky.

Does it have a name?