Saturday, September 12, 2009

137



Today was Jack's first soccer game. Of course, he didn't wear his uniform this way, but wee were laughing at how long the dang socks were. Jack did great at his game. He was a little timid and observant, but this is how he approaches most things. I have a feeling he'll be more aggressive on the next game. All I know is he loved it and had a great time, which is how it should be.



Also today came the end of our tenure with the squirrel. I had a long talk with the kids about how he would have a better chance if he was in the right hands. I explained that the squirrel would soon get out of control because it had grown into a young adult squirrel. Also, since we're going to Disneyland on the 28th, it would be impossible to find someone who would be willing to watch the squirrel for us while we were gone.

Both of the kids understood, but they didn't take it very well. There were a lot of tears, but we drove him to the drop point, which was a vet clinic in Renton. The wildlife rescue, Sarvey Wildlife Center agreed to take him and asked we take him there and accompany the drop-off with a donation. We wrote a check for a small donation and hoped for the best.

I wondered as we drove away if this was a legitimate rescue because of the 'drop-off' at a random vet clinic. What if they euthanized the little guy right there and cashed my check? I would like to believe we gave the squirrel a better chance at life than if he had stayed sitting out in the openness of my yard. We gave him at least 2.5 days more than he would have had we not discovered him. What a great experience it was for us too. We all enjoyed having him around for a few days.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

Hilarious Ed Grimley uniform! Go Jack!

Aww, I'll miss squirrely, he seemed like a nice little feller.
I am sure the rescue people were legit. Because why? I don't know. Who would fake that?