Tuesday, June 16, 2009

365 Project - Day SIXTY THREE through SEVENTY ONE



Wow.

I'm so sorry blog. You must have thought I abandoned you. I did stray, but with purpose.

I spent days 63 through today either packing or recovering from the trip to Nacogdoches (nakadochess), TX... Jason's mom and her boyfriend live on a 70 acre farm just outside of Nacogdoches. The Nacogdochians that live there abbreviate it as Nac. So, since I've spent a few nights there, I believe I can call it that too. If only for the sake of simplicity.





On this approximate weekend every year, the people of Nac celebrate the super antioxidant blueberry by holding a festival, affectionately known as The Blueberry Festival. The festival was replete with just about anything deep fried you could imagine; oreos, twinkies, corndogs, fries, potatos, bacon...it was a smorgasbord of any food you could possibly want from a fair or festival. There were also inflatables for the kids, a petting zoo, live bands, blueberry pie and blueberry cobbler judging, eating contests, a hot rod show and a dress-up in vintage attire parade. Also present were the sponsors of the event handing out free bottled water at every corner. There was also a representative from Nestle's hispanic division giving out free hispanic popsicles (I had a tasty coconut one).



All this coldness and hydration was necessary because it was 96 frickin degrees out with about 90% humidity. This extreme climate was no place for a plus size woman. My sunscreen melted off my skin and exposed it to the death rays of the sun. Even though I painstakingly applied spf 70 before I stepped-out of the air conditioned sanctuary I call my hotel room.



Now, on a positive note, Nac is one of the most architectually fascinating small towns I have visited. The streets of the original downtown are still made from the same brick that was laid down 70 some years ago. The buildings of downtown are the same ones designed by a German immigrant in the late 1800s. It baffles me as to how these buildings can stand there in the changing temperatures after baking in the Texas sun all spring, summer and fall. The architecture of the buildings is jaw-dropping. The homes in the town designed by the same architect are huge, extravagant and decorative. They were also built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I believe that maybe the humidity has its merits here and the swelling of the wood keeps the structures standing up. They were beautiful and I wanted to walk around and look at them all. I just couldn't stand to be outside.



It was nice to see Jason's family; his sisters, nieces and nephews. My kids had a blast playing with their cousins and with the animals on the farm. There were many goats, chickens, dogs and cats. Mazie was fascinated with the bug wildlife as there were many bugs that we just don't have up here.



Our hotel was pretty sweet too. It was built in 1955 as a fancy resort to draw people into the town. It was easy to imagine women in their modest swimming suits lingering by the pool holding martini glasses and cigarettes in the long slender holders. They would stay there during the day while their powerful husbands made cattle deals in the hotel lobby.

It was a long trip to get there. 4 hours on the plane and another 4 hours in the car from the airport. I would go back again to the little town, it was fab. Not sure if I would go in June though.



(this poor dude got smashed in the door of our hotel room - apparently in June)

2 comments:

Kaycee said...

I've never in my life had any desire to visit Nacogdoches, Texas, until now. What a cute looking town! I could do without the squashed lizards, though.

The Blueberry festival sounds pretty awesome. I love festivals.

M said...

Ewwww...
xom